This part-time Bachelor International Business and Management focuses on the holistic development of the practical, interpersonal, and thinking skills necessary to be successful in work and in higher education.
The program has been developed in collaboration with many employers. Employers are looking for recruits with a thorough grounding in the latest industry requirements and job-ready skills, such as teamwork.
Learners who progress to higher education need experience of research, extended writing, and meeting deadlines. Our part-time program addresses these needs.
What makes this program so special?
– Internationally recognized Bachelor: BTEC4-5 HNC/HND + Top-up program: Fast-track;
– HNC/HND (2 years) part-time at Kronenburgh: business program with specialization;
– Studying top-up part-time at Kronenburgh and University of Essex (1.5 years);
– Use the company you work for as the internship company case study;
– Each step HNC > HND > Top-up is awarded with a certificate, diploma or degree;
– Blended learning: in class lectures but you can also participate with zoom;
– Access for students from all countries of the European Union (EU);
– Lecturers who work professionally in practice;
– In English: the best preparation for international university studies and/or working within international companies.
The part-time Kronenburgh Bachelor International Business and Management is a 3.5-years program.
The program is built on the International higher education qualification system:
- (1) BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business (HNC)
- (2) BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business (HND)
- (3) TOP-up programma: Bachelor in Business BA(Hons)
(1) Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business
The Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business offers students a broad introduction to the subject area ‘Business’. Students will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios. Graduates successfully completing the Higher National Certificate will be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the basic concepts of business. They will be able to communicate accurately and appropriately, and they will have the qualities needed for employment that requires some degree of personal responsibility. They will have developed a range of transferable skills to ensure effective team working, independent initiatives, organisational competence, and problem-solving strategies. They will be adaptable and flexible in their approach to business, show resilience under pressure, and meet challenging targets within a given resource.
In the first year of study, all students follow the same lecture programme. There is a relevant unit for each specialization of the second year.
During a lecture day, the lecturer discusses the new subject matter. You are also already working on the assignment that goes with the unit (a business case). The assignment is further done as part of your work / internship. In this way you always apply the theory in practice. At the start of the lecture day there is a kick-off test about the subject matter of the previous lecture day. In this way you learn a bit every day in preparation for the exam at the end of the unit. The unit is further concluded with an assessment of the completed assignment and an accompanying presentation. This is Kronenburgh’s Think – Act – Grow approach.
BTEC Level 4 units
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Processes and Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership and Management
- Accounting principles
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Financial Accounting
- Managing a Successful Business Project
(2) Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business
Holders of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making. The program is aiming students to be professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. More information: www.highernationals.com.
The Think – Act – Grow approach applies again this year.
This academic year there are generic units (for all students) and specialization units. Your specialization is stated on the HND diploma.
BTEC level 5 units
- Research project
- Operations and Project Management
- Global Business Environment
- Understanding and Leading Change
- Business IT-systems
- Organisational Behaviour
- Business Strategy
(3) University Top-up program: Bachelor (Hons)
The academic level of the program is rising again. This means that students study the literature and complete assignments more independently: applying what you have learned in the first two years. At the same time, there is more room for gaining practical experience (internship).
There are still a few lecture days at Kronenburgh. Pre-recorded lectures are also available in the online environment of the University of Essex, together with other lecture materials such as the readers. The online learning environment is operated by Kaplan Open Learning on behalf of the University of Essex.
All students follow the same lecture program again. Once again, the students are working on an assignment per unit. Students also write an article for each unit. There are no more theory tests. An active contribution is expected from students during the online group discussions initiated by Essex. Students also write a personal learning report for each unit. The study counseling is provided by Kronenburgh and the University of Essex.
During this top-up program there is also room for an internship: carrying out the Advanced Business Project (an in-depth research). An internship is not mandatory, however. You can also graduate without an internship.
With the graduation assignment you can again focus on your specialization from the HND year, but you can also choose a completely different direction. Your research assignment must be pre-approved by Essex.
The University of Essex will provide final assessments of the students’ work for all units and the final project and will ultimately provide the Bachelor’s degree. The graduation ceremony is also at the University of Essex in the UK.
Top-up level 6 units
- Global Business Environment
- Business Strategy
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Business Law
- International Marketing Strategy
- Business Finance
- Advance Business Project (an in-depth research)
- Dutch system: MBO4-diploma, HAVO-diploma of overgangsbewijs VWO4>5 / overgangsbewijs VWO 5>6 / VWO-diploma,
- International System:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business,
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as maths and English,
- Other related UK Level 3 qualifications,
- European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong learning (EQF): level 4 EQF,
- An international equivalent of the above.
Some aspects of business e.g., accounting and finance require maths skills and we strongly recommend all students:
- Dutch education system: Mathematics and Economics in the curriculum at mbo, havo or vwo.
- International Education system: An A* to C grade GCSE Maths and/or 9 to 4 in GCSE Maths, prior to starting the course.
Required level of English
- Dutch education system: English in the curriculum at mbo, havo or vwo.
- International Education system:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B1 with good marks (we prefer B2),
- PTE 51,
- IELTS 5.5; Reading and Writing must be at 5.5,
- or equivalent,
- Students that have studied in English for last two years.
The Kronenburgh Language College in The Hague offers courses to bring you at the right level of English. This can also be done during the first year.
Do you not meet the admission criteria, but do you think you can still meet the level of the program? Then take the Kronenburgh IBS 21+ test.
In order to be able to compare the education systems in the different European countries, the European Qualification Framework EQF was developed. The Bachelor’s program in Business and Management is rated as follows (see Nuffic):
Higher National Certificate in Business HNC: EQF5;
Higher National Diploma in Business HND: EQF5;
Top-up Business and Management: EQF 6 (in the Dutch system HBO or WO).
At Kronenburgh, every successful stepp is rewarded with a certificate, diploma or degree.
HNC and HND
Kronenburgh International Business School provides the HNC and HND programs under the license and supervision of Pearson. Pearson Education Ltd.: The UK’s largest diploma awarding body with academic and professional qualifications that are globally recognized and benchmarked. Pearson is the world’s leading training company. Pearson therefore provides the internationally recognized HNC certificate and the HND diploma.
The program is made up of BTEC units. The Ofqual Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) Qualification numbers are:
Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business: 601/8364/0
Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business: 601/8365/2
The third part of the program is the Top-up, which is offered in collaboration with the University of Essex and Kaplan Open Learning. The University of Essex is a business-acclaimed British public university located in the county of Essex in Great Britain. The quality of education is highly rated by the students. The University of Essex provides the Bachelor’s degree.
In the first two years, we start the lecture day with a kick-off test about the theory of the previous lecture day. In this way we encourage you to really absorb a piece of theory every day of your lecture. You and the lecturer will also receive daily feedback on whether the theory has landed well or whether repetition or additional explanation is needed. At the end of the unit there is a theoretical test. The final mark for this test must be sufficient to be able to continue. This is therefore a conditional test. There are no more theory tests in the Top-up programme.
You will receive an assignment for each unit. You show that you can apply the theory within a practical case. You will also look for extra relevant theory/literature and you will include a bibliography in your elaboration. You show that with a critical eye you can draw your own conclusions and formulate an advice based on literature. In the first two years, the assignment also includes a presentation part. In the top-up program there are no presentations, but you actively participate in the discussion forum. In the Top-up program you always write an article in addition to the assignment. A portfolio of assignments is built up at HNC, HND and Top-up. The portfolio is assessed to determine whether you have obtained sufficient credits to be eligible for a certificate/diploma/degree.
In the part-time program we offer the first-year lectures on Tuesday afternoons and evenings. Second-year lectures on Thursday afternoons and evenings. The Top-up lectures are also on Thursday afternoon and evening.
Start: You can start with the program every time a new unit starts:
- Tuesday 30 August 2022
- Tuesday 4 October 2022
- Tuesday 1 November 2022
- Tuesday 6 December 2022
- Tuesday 24 January 2023
- Tuesday 7 March 2023
- Tuesday 11 April 2023
- Tuesday 30 May 2023
Lecture times: 1.30pm to 8.50pm.
Building: Lange Houtstraat 7 2511CV The Hague
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 3,995.-
- Tuition fees Pearson € 464.49
- Literature Pearson € 17.55 + € 210.60
- Literature Studystore € 50.-
- Membership Library € 35.-
- In total € 4,737.64
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 3,995.- (prepay or in 10 instalments € 409.49)
- Tuition fees Pearson € 24.57 (prepay)
- Literature Pearson € 17.55 + € 351.- (prepay)
- Literature Studystore € 0.- (prepay)
- Membership Library € 35.- (prepay)
- In total € 4,423.12
- 1 year £ 4.112,- (€ 4.885,90) + half year £ 2.056,- ( € 2.442,95) = £ 6.168,- (€ 7.328,85) for 1,5 year
(prices are subject to University of Essex exchange rates and changes).
(Payment scheme in installments via Kaplan / University of Essex possible)
Total Bachelor: HNC € 4,737.64 + HND € 4,423.12 + Top up € 7,328.85 = € 16,489.61
Good to know
- Prices Pearson and Essex are subject to exchange rates.
- Pearson and Essex may change prices.
- Study guidance Top-up from Kronenburgh can change and then also the tuition fees (will also be indexed).
- Studystore literature is based on previous academic year prices. New bibliographies will not be available until the summer holidays.
- You bring your own laptop. We work with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint (full software versions, so no free or limited versions).
- Additional lecture material/literature may be charged.
- In the event of a study delay, € 100 will be charged to continue enrolment at Pearson (possibly also at the Top-up university).
- If sufficient study results are not obtained, there are costs for attending lectures, taking exams and assessments (depending on what is necessary).
Does the government contribute Dutch citizens?
Stimulation of the Labor Market Position (STAP). You can apply for up to € 1.000,- per year through the UWV. An annual total budget of 218 million euros is available for the scheme, divided over 6 application terms. Gone = Gone, so be on time!
An employer can deduct training costs of employees for tax purposes.
After completing the Bachelor programme, you can start working or continue your studies: a master’s degree at a Dutch university or higher vocational education institution or an international university. For example, consider one of the following master’s degree programmes:
Master of Business Management MBM
Master of Business Administration MBA
Or a master that matches your specialization:
International Business and Entrepreneurship
human resource Management
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Organizational Change Management
Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Finance and Management
You should be aware that university admission requirements are always subject to change. For a university master, different requirements are set than for an HBO master.