This online part-time Bachelor International Business and Management focuses on the holistic development of the practical, interpersonal, and thinking skills necessary to be successful in work and in higher education.
The program has been developed in collaboration with many employers. Employers are looking for recruits with a thorough grounding in the latest industry requirements and job-ready skills, such as teamwork.
Learners who progress to higher education need experience of research, extended writing, and meeting deadlines. Our online program addresses these needs.
What makes this program so special?
– Internationally recognized Bachelor: BTEC4-5 HNC/HND + Top-up program: Fast-track;
– HNC/HND (2 years) online at Kronenburgh: business program with specialization;
– Studying top-up online at Kronenburgh and University of Essex (1.5 years);
– Use the company you work for as the internship company case study;
– Each step HNC > HND > Top-up is awarded with a certificate, diploma or degree;
– Access for students from all countries of the European Union (EU);
– Lecturers who work professionally in practice;
– In English: the best preparation for international university studies and/or working within international companies.
The online Kronenburgh Bachelor International Business and Management is a 3.5-years program.
The program is built on the International higher education qualification system:
- (1) BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business (HNC)
- (2) BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business (HND)
- (3) TOP-up programma: Bachelor in Business BA(Hons)
(1) Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business
The Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business offers students a broad introduction to the subject area ‘Business’. Students will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios. Graduates successfully completing the Higher National Certificate will be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the basic concepts of business. They will be able to communicate accurately and appropriately, and they will have the qualities needed for employment that requires some degree of personal responsibility. They will have developed a range of transferable skills to ensure effective team working, independent initiatives, organisational competence, and problem-solving strategies. They will be adaptable and flexible in their approach to business, show resilience under pressure, and meet challenging targets within a given resource.
In the first year of study, all students follow the same lecture programme. There is a relevant unit for each specialization of the second year.
If you finished the online unit there will be a theoretical test. Then there is an assignment. The unit is concluded with an assessment of the completed assignment and an accompanying presentation. This is Kronenburgh’s Think – Act – Grow approach.
BTEC Level 4 units
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Processes and Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership and Management
- Accounting principles
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Financial Accounting
- Managing a Successful Business Project
(2) Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business
Holders of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making. The program is aiming students to be professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. More information: www.highernationals.com.
The Think – Act – Grow approach applies again this year.
BTEC level 5 units
- Research project
- Operations and Project Management
- Global Business Environment
- Planning for Growth
- Business IT-systems
- Organisational Behaviour
- Business Strategy
(3) University Top-up program: Bachelor (Hons)
The academic level of the program is rising again. This means that students study the literature and complete assignments more independently: applying what you have learned in the first two years. At the same time, there is more room for gaining practical experience (internship).
There are still a few lecture days at Kronenburgh. Pre-recorded lectures are also available in the online environment of the University of Essex, together with other lecture materials such as the readers. The online learning environment is operated by Kaplan Open Learning on behalf of the University of Essex.
All students follow the same lecture program again. Once again, the students are working on an assignment per unit. Students also write an article for each unit. There are no more theory tests. An active contribution is expected from students during the online group discussions initiated by Essex. Students also write a personal learning report for each unit. The study counseling is provided by Kronenburgh and the University of Essex.
During this top-up program there is also room for an internship: carrying out the Advanced Business Project (an in-depth research). An internship is not mandatory, however. You can also graduate without an internship.
With the graduation assignment you can again focus on your specialization from the HND year, but you can also choose a completely different direction. Your research assignment must be pre-approved by Essex.
The University of Essex will provide final assessments of the students’ work for all units and the final project and will ultimately provide the Bachelor’s degree. The graduation ceremony is also at the University of Essex in the UK.
Top-up level 6 units
- Global Business Environment
- Business Strategy
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Business Law
- International Marketing Strategy
- Business Finance
- Advance Business Project (an in-depth research)
Requirements prior education
- Dutch education: MBO4-, HAVO-, VWO-diploma,
- International education:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business,
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as maths and English,
- Other related UK Level 3 qualifications,
- European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong learning (EQF): level 4 EQF,
- An international equivalent of the above.
- Dutch education: Mathematics and Economics in the curriculum at mbo, havo or vwo.
- International Education: An A* to C grade GCSE Maths and/or 9 to 4 in GCSE Maths, prior to starting the course.
If the admission requirements are not met, but it is expected that the program will still be successfully completed, there is the option of making the Kronenburgh IBS IQ test.
Required level of English
- Dutch education: English in the curriculum at mbo, havo or vwo.
- International Education:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B1 with good marks (we prefer B2),
- PTE 51,
- IELTS 5.5; Reading and Writing must be at 5.5,
- or equivalent,
- Students that have studied in English for last two years.
In case of insufficient mastery, a language course can be followed at the Kronenburgh Language College in The Hague.
In order to be able to compare the education systems in the different European countries, the European Qualification Framework EQF was developed. The Bachelor’s program in Business and Management is rated as follows (see Nuffic):
Higher National Certificate in Business HNC: EQF5;
Higher National Diploma in Business HND: EQF5;
Top-up Business and Management: EQF 6 (in the Dutch system HBO or WO).
At Kronenburgh, every successful step is rewarded with a certificate, diploma or degree.
HNC and HND
Kronenburgh International Business School provides the HNC and HND programs under the license and supervision of Pearson. Pearson Education Ltd.: The UK’s largest diploma awarding body with academic and professional qualifications that are globally recognized and benchmarked. Pearson is the world’s leading training company. Pearson therefore provides the internationally recognized HNC certificate and the HND diploma.
The program is made up of BTEC units. The Ofqual Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) Qualification numbers are:
Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business: 601/8364/0
Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business: 601/8365/2
The third part of the program is the Top-up, which is offered in collaboration with the University of Essex and Kaplan Open Learning. The University of Essex is a business-acclaimed British public university located in the county of Essex in Great Britain. The quality of education is highly rated by the students. The University of Essex provides the Bachelor’s degree.
At the end of the unit there is a theoretical test. The final mark for this test must be sufficient to be able to continue. This is therefore a conditional test. There are no more theory tests in the Top-up programme.
You will receive an assignment for each unit. You show that you can apply the theory within a practical case. You will also look for extra relevant theory/literature and you will include a bibliography in your elaboration. You show that with a critical eye you can draw your own conclusions and formulate an advice based on literature. In the first two years, the assignment also includes a presentation part. In the top-up program there are no presentations, but you actively participate in the discussion forum. In the Top-up program you always write an article in addition to the assignment. A portfolio of assignments is built up at HNC, HND and Top-up. The portfolio is assessed to determine whether you have obtained sufficient credits to be eligible for a certificate/diploma/degree.
We suggest to work along with the planning of the part-time programme, but you can also make your own plan.
Start: You can start with the programme every time a new unit starts:
- Tuesday 3 October 2023
- Tuesday 21 November 2023
- Tuesday 16 January 2024
- Tuesday 13 February 2024
- Tuesday 19 March 2024
- Tuesday 16 April 2024
- Tuesday 28 May 2024
- or any other day, since it is online.
See the HNC programme
See the HND programme
See the Top-up programme
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 3,094.-
- Tuition fees Pearson € 464.49
- Literature Pearson € 561.60
- Membership Library € 35.-
- In total € 4,155.09
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 3,094.- (prepay or in 10 instalments € 317.14)
- Tuition fees Pearson € 24.57 (prepay)
- Literature Pearson € 561.60 (prepay)
- Membership Library € 35.- (prepay)
- In total € 3,715.17
- 1 year £ 4.112,- (€ 4.885,90) + half year £ 2.056,- ( € 2.442,95) = £ 6.168,- (€ 7.328,85) for 1,5 year
(prices are subject to University of Essex exchange rates and changes).
(Payment scheme in installments via Kaplan / University of Essex possible)
- HNC € 4,155.09 + HND € 3,715.17 + Top-up € 7,328.85 = € 15,199.11
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 397.75 (prepay)
- Tuition fees Pearson € 81.90 (prepay)
- Literature Pearson € 70.20 (prepay)
- In total € 549.85
- Membership Library € 35.- (prepay)
- You bring your own laptop. We work with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint (full software versions, so no free or limited versions).
- In case of study delay, € 100, – will be charged to continue enrolment at Pearson.
- It is possible that additional material will be charged.
Good to know
Per unit a lecturer is available for 1.5 hours for your questions on the literature and the assignment. Also the lecturer will administer the oral part of your assignment (your presentation) via zoom and determines the final grade.
Student grants (financial support)
1. You will be registered with Pearson (and Kronenburgh). Pearson is an international educator based in the United Kingdom. This means that you can apply for student grants as a student who is studying abroad (even if you follow the lectures at Kronenburgh in the Netherlands).
Look at Duo ‘studying abroad‘ and read about the conditions and find out whether you are eligible for a student grant. Apply for student grant in time. Apply via duo.nl. If this does not work, you can use this form. Duo assesses each application individually.
At BTEC4-5 / HNC-HND, just like at HBO-University, student finance is only possible for students aged 18 to 30 (parents receive child benefit up to the age of 18). The public transport card is also for younger students available. There is only student finance for full-time or dual (learning and working) programmes. There is no student grant for part-time (bbl) (i.e., not in combination with work).
2. If you are not eligible for student finance, there is Stimulering Arbeidsmarktpositie (STAP-budget). You can apply for up to €1,000 per year via the UWV. An annual total budget of 218 million euros is available for the scheme, divided over 6 application periods. On = gone, so be there on time!
3. An employer can pay for the training for employees and offset it for tax purposes.
After completing the Bachelor programme, you can start working or continue your studies: a master’s degree at a Dutch university or higher vocational education institution or an international university. For example, consider one of the following master’s degree programmes:
Master of Business Management MBM
Master of Business Administration MBA
Or a master that matches your specialization:
International Business and Entrepreneurship
human resource Management
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Organizational Change Management
Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Finance and Management
You should be aware that university admission requirements are always subject to change. For a university master, different requirements are set than for an HBO master.