This full-time Bachelor Business and International Management focuses on the holistic development of the practical, interpersonal, and thinking skills necessary to be successful in work and in higher education.
The program has been developed in collaboration with many employers. Employers are looking for recruits with a thorough grounding in the latest industry requirements and job-ready skills, such as teamwork.
Learners who progress to higher education need experience of research, extended writing, and meeting deadlines. Our full-time program addresses these needs.
What makes this program so special?
– Internationally recognized BTEC4-5 HNC/HND + Top-up program: Fast-track;
– HNC/HND (2 years) full-time at Kronenburgh: business program with specialization;
– Studying top-up full-time at a foreign university (1 year) or at Kronenburgh (1.5 years);
– Every year at Kronenburgh a company internship (internship) (Putting theory into practice: CV-building);
– Each step HNC > HND > Top-up is awarded with a certificate, diploma or degree;
– Average groups of 15 students with positive ambition;
– Access for students from all countries of the European Union (EU);
– Good balance theory and practice: morning: tutorials, afternoon: practicum;
– Lecturers who work professionally in practice;
– Make assignments under the supervision of a teacher during the practical;
– In English: the best preparation for international university studies and/or working within international companies.
The full-time Kronenburgh Bachelor International Business and Management is a 3/3.5-year program. The program is built on the International higher education qualification system:
- (1) BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business (HNC)
- (2) BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business (HND)
- (3) TOP-up programma: Bachelor in Business BA(Hons)
(1) Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business
The Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business offers students a broad introduction to the subject area ‘Business’. Students will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios. Graduates successfully completing the Higher National Certificate will be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the basic concepts of business. They will be able to communicate accurately and appropriately, and they will have the qualities needed for employment that requires some degree of personal responsibility. They will have developed a range of transferable skills to ensure effective team working, independent initiatives, organisational competence, and problem-solving strategies. They will be adaptable and flexible in their approach to business, show resilience under pressure, and meet challenging targets within a given resource.
In the first year of study, all students follow the same lecture programme. There is a relevant unit for each specialization of the second year.
During a lecture day, the lecturer discusses the new subject matter. You are also already working on the assignment that goes with the unit (a business case). The assignment is further done as part of your work / internship. In this way you always apply the theory in practice. At the start of the lecture day there is a kick-off test about the subject matter of the previous lecture day. In this way you learn a bit every day in preparation for the exam at the end of the unit. The unit is further concluded with an assessment of the completed assignment and an accompanying presentation. This is Kronenburgh’s Think – Act – Grow approach.
BTEC Level 4 units
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Processes and Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership and Management
- Accounting Principles
- Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Recording Financial Transactions
- Managing a Successful Business Project
- Business Law
- Professional Identity and Practice
- Operations Management
- Work Experience
(2) Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business
Holders of the Level 5 Higher National Diploma will have developed a sound understanding of the principles in their field of study and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in their chosen field and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making. The program is aiming students to be professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. More information: www.highernationals.com.
The Think – Act – Grow approach applies again this year.
This academic year there are generic units (for all students) and specialization units. Your specialization is stated on the HND diploma.
Most studies also have 2 optional units. If these units are provided, you can register for them and they will also be mentioned on your HND grade list.
BTEC level 5 units general and specialisation
- Research Project
- Principles of Operations Management
- Global Business Environment
- Understanding and Leading Change
- Business Information Technology Systems
- Organisational Behaviour
- Business Strategy
- Launch a New Venture
- Pitching and Negotiation Skills
- Sales Management
- Company Law and Corporate Governance
- HR Value and Contribution to Organisational Success / Employee Relations
(3) University Top-up program: Bachelor (Hons)
The next step is the Top-up program. This academic year builds on the HNC and HND program and takes you to the bachelor’s level. At the Top-up you can choose (I) 1 year full-time study at a university abroad, or (II) 1.5 years further study at Kronenburgh and the University of Essex. Read more about our Top-up programme.
(I) Top-up at University abroad
Studying at a university abroad is an immensely valuable experience and will feature prominently on your CV for a lifetime.
With the Level 5 Higher National Diploma HND RQF you can access the Top-up program at many universities in the field of “Business and Management” or a similar field of study. Go to the degree finder and find the universities with a Top-up program. This list is not complete by the way. You can also check the internet at the university of your choice to see if they offer a Top-up year. A well-connected program can be found, for example, at the University of Brighton.
The specifications of the Top-up lecture program and the organization of education differ per university. Keep in mind that the admission requirements of these universities are subject to change. For example, additional or different requirements can be set every year for the level of English and the level achieved at HNC and HND, etc.
(II) Top-up at Kronenburgh and University of Essex
The Top-up program is offered by Kronenburgh International Business School in collaboration with the University of Essex.
The academic level of the program is rising again. Students will now study the literature more independently and complete assignments: apply what you have learned in the first two years.
All students again participate in the same lecture program. Once again, the students work on an assignment per unit. Students also write an article for each unit. There are no more theory exams. Students are expected to actively participate in the online group discussions initiated by Essex. The students also write a personal learning report for each unit. The study counseling is provided by Kronenburgh and the University of Essex.
At Kronenburgh there are still a few lecture days per unit. Pre-recorded lectures are also available in the online environment of the University of Essex, along with other lecture materials such as the readers. The online learning environment is managed by Kaplan Open Learning on behalf of the University of Essex.
With fewer hours of lectures, there is more time for the internship and the graduation assignment: the Advanced Business Project (an in-depth study). You can also graduate without an internship.
With the graduation assignment you can focus again on your specialization from the HND year, but you can also choose a completely different direction. Your research assignment must be pre-approved by Essex.
The University of Essex conducts final assessments of student work for all units and the graduation project. The University of Essex will eventually also provide the bachelor’s degree. The graduation ceremony is also at the University of Essex in the UK.
Top-up level 6 units
- Global Business Environment
- Business Strategy
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Business Law
- International Marketing Strategy
- Business Finance
- Advance Business Project (an in-depth research)
This program is only open to students:
- from (1) the Netherlands and (2) the European Union (EU/EEA and Switzerland) (students from outside Europe will not be admitted)
- in the ages of 17 up to 25 at the start of the programme.
Check whether you meet the criteria: complete the checklist.
Requirements prior education
- Dutch education: MBO4-diploma, HAVO-diploma of overgangsbewijs VWO4>5 / overgangsbewijs VWO 5>6 / VWO-diploma,
- International education:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Business,
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as maths and English,
- Other related UK Level 3 qualifications,
- European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong learning (EQF): level 4 EQF,
- An international equivalent of the above.
- Dutch education: Mathematics and Economics in the curriculum at mbo, havo or vwo.
- International Education: An A* to C grade GCSE Maths and/or 9 to 4 in GCSE Maths, prior to starting the course.
If the admission requirements are not met, but it is expected that the program will still be successfully completed, there is the option of making the Kronenburgh IBS IQ test.
Required level of English
- Dutch education: English in the curriculum at mbo, havo or vwo.
- International Education:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B1 with good marks (we prefer B2),
- PTE 51,
- IELTS 5.5; Reading and Writing must be at 5.5,
- or equivalent,
- Students that have studied in English for last two years.
In case of insufficient mastery, a language course can be followed at the Kronenburgh Language College in The Hague.
In order to be able to compare the education systems in the different European countries, the European Qualification Framework EQF was developed. The Bachelor’s program in Business and Management is rated as follows (see Nuffic):
Higher National Certificate in Business HNC: EQF5;
Higher National Diploma in Business HND: EQF5;
Top-up Business and Management: EQF 6 (in the Dutch system HBO or WO).
At Kronenburgh, every successful year is rewarded with a certificate, diploma or degree.
HNC and HND
Kronenburgh International Business School provides the HNC and HND programs under the license and supervision of Pearson. Pearson Education Ltd.: The UK’s largest diploma awarding body with academic and professional qualifications that are globally recognized and benchmarked. Pearson is the world’s leading training company. Pearson therefore provides the internationally recognized HNC certificate and the HND diploma.
The program is made up of BTEC units. The Ofqual Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) Qualification numbers are:
Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Business: 601/8364/0
Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Business: 601/8365/2
The third part of the program is the Top-up, which is offered in collaboration with the University of Essex and Kaplan Open Learning. The University of Essex is a business-acclaimed British public university located in the county of Essex in Great Britain. The quality of education is highly rated by the students. The University of Essex provides the Bachelor’s degree.
In the first two years, we end each day of lectures with an end-of-day test on the theory of that day. In this way we encourage you to really absorb a piece of theory every day of your lecture. You and the lecturer will also receive daily feedback on whether the theory has landed well or whether repetition or additional explanation is needed. At the end of the unit there is a theory exam. The final mark for the theory must be sufficient to be able to continue. This is therefore a conditional theory exam. There are no more theory tests in the Top-up programme.
You will receive an ‘assignment’ per unit. You show that you can apply the theory within a practical case. You will also look for extra relevant theory/literature and you will include a bibliography in your elaboration. You show that with a critical eye you can draw your own conclusions based on literature and formulated advice. In the first two years, the assignment also includes a presentation part. In the top-up program there are no presentations, but you actively participate in the discussion forum. In the Top-up program you always write an article in addition to the assignment. For example, a portfolio of assignments is always built up at HNC, HND and Top-up. The portfolio is assessed to determine whether you have obtained sufficient credits to be eligible for a certificate/diploma/degree.
The first year starts with the OH OH Intro at the end of August. Get to know other students also other University educational institutions in The Hague. The OH OH INtro is organized by the municipality of The Hague together with five student associations: the social associations HSV and INTAC, rowing club Pelargos, the Christian association Navigators and the HSSK shooting corps. A great opportunity to discover student life in The Hague.
The Kronenburgh introduction is on Monday 21 August 2023. We inform you about our education system and go to the beach for some team building activities such as beach volleyball and wave surfing.
You can start at Kronenburgh all year round. Good moments are when a new unit starts, but often you can also join running units. Come by during the walk-in evening and we will discuss the possibilities.
The new academic year 2023-2024 starts on Tuesday 22 August 2023.
Lecture times: Monday to Thursday from 9.00 am to 4.20 pm (no lecture on Friday).
Academic year: During an academic year, you attend lectures from the end of August to March. After that there is an internship until the summer holidays.
In the first year, a study trip is planned prior to the internship.
Building: Lange Houtstraat 7 2511CV The Hague.
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 13,495.-
- Tuition fees Pearson € 464.49
- Literature Pearson € 17.55 + € 140.40
- Literature Studystore € 200.-
- Membership Library € 35.-
- In total € 14,317.44
- Tuition fees Kronenburgh € 13,495.- (prepay or in 10 instalments € 1.384,-)
- Tuition fees Pearson € 24.57 (prepay)
- Literature Pearson € 17.55 + € 421.20 (prepay)
- Literature Studystore € 150.- (prepay)
- Membership Library € 35.-
- In total € 14,143.32
- Tuition fee Kronenburgh € 5,700. – for 1,5 year
- Tuition fee Essex £ 6,168. – (€ 7,328.85) for 1,5 year
- In total € 13,028.85
(prices are subject to University of Essex exchange rates and changes).
(Payment scheme in installments via Kaplan / University of Essex possible)
- Tuition fees eg. University of Brighton £ 6,168. – (€ 16,195. – (prepay or payment arrangement via Brighton)
Total Bachelor NL: HNC € 14,317.44 + HND € 14,143.32 + Top up € 13,028.85 = € 41,489.61
Total Bachelor UK: HNC € 14,317.44 + HND 14,143.32 + Top up € 16,195. – = € 44,655.76
Good to know
- Prices Pearson, Essex and Brighton are subject to exchange rates.
- Pearson, Essex and Brighton may change prices.
- Study guidance Top-up from Kronenburgh can change and then also the tuition fees (will also be indexed).
- Studystore literature is based on previous academic year prices. New bibliographies will not be available until the summer holidays.
- Instead of the University of Brighton Top-up, you can also choose another university, which charges different rates.
- You bring your own laptop. We work with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint (full software versions, so no free or limited versions).
- You have a representative business suit (Tenue de Ville on Thursdays, during company visits and on request of a teacher).
- Additional lecture material/literature may be charged.
- In the event of a study delay, € 100 will be charged to continue enrolment at Pearson (possibly also at the Top-up university).
- If sufficient study results are not obtained, there are costs for attending lectures, taking exams and assessments (depending on what is necessary).
Does the government support students?
Kronenburgh is a private college, therefore there is nog governmental Duo school funding.
Stimulation of the Labor Market Position (STAP). You can apply for up to € 1.000,- per year through the UWV. An annual total budget of 218 million euros is available for the scheme, divided over 6 application terms. Gone = Gone, so be on time!
An employer can deduct training costs of employees for tax purposes.
After completing the Bachlor programme, you can start working or continue your studies: a master’s degree at a Dutch university or higher vocational education institution or an international university. For example, consider one of the following master’s degree programmes:
Master of Business Management MBM
Master of Business Administration MBA
Or a master that matches your specialization:
International Business and Entrepreneurship
human resource Management
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Organizational Change Management
Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Finance and Management
You should be aware that university admission requirements are always subject to change. For a university master, different requirements are set than for an HBO master.
After the 1.5 year NL Top-up program you may be able to continue working at the internship company (internship). Or you go traveling for six months and then pick up the Master again.