Transferable employability skills and academic study skills
Students need both relevant qualifications and employability skills to enhance their career prospects and contribute to their personal development. Higher National business qualifications embed throughout the programme the development of key skills, attributes and strengths required by 21st century employers. Where employability skills are referred to in this specification, this generally refers to skills in five main categories:
- Cognitive and problem-solving skills: critical thinking, approaching non-routine problems by applying expert and creative solutions, use of systems and digital technology, generating and communicating ideas creatively.
- Intra-personal skills: self-management, adaptability and resilience, selfmonitoring and self-development, self-analysis and reflection, planning and prioritising.
- Interpersonal skills: effective communication and articulation of information, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation.
- Commercial skills: sector awareness; sales; marketing/promotion; budget management/monitoring.
- Business skills: awareness of types of companies, company formation, invoicing, calculating fees, business management.