Higher National Diploma HND
In the BTEC Level 5 programme students will develop a sound understanding of the principles in Business and will have learned to apply those principles more widely. They will have learned to evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches to solving problems. They will be able to perform effectively in Business and will have the qualities necessary for employment in situations requiring the exercise of personal responsibility and decision-making.
Students will develop key skills, attributes and strengths required by 21st century employers. This refers to five main categories:
- Cognitive and problem-solving skills: critical thinking, approaching non-routine problems by applying expert and creative solutions, use of systems and digital technology, generating and communicating ideas creatively.
- Intra-personal skills: self-management, adaptability and resilience, selfmonitoring and self-development, self-analysis and reflection, planning and prioritising.
- Interpersonal skills: effective communication and articulation of information, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation.
- Commercial skills: sector awareness; sales; marketing/promotion; budget management/monitoring.
- Business skills: awareness of types of companies, company formation, invoicing, calculating fees, business management.
Students can also benefit from opportunities for deeper learning, where they are able to make connections between units and select areas of interest for detailed study. In this way BTEC Higher Nationals provide a vocational context in which students can develop the knowledge and academic study skills required for progression to university degree courses, including: (1) Active research skills, (2) Effective writing skills, (3) Analytical skills, (4) Critical thinking, (5) Creative problem-solving, (6) Decision-making, (7) Team building, (8) Exam preparation skills, (9) Digital literacy (10) Competence in assessment methods used in higher education.